Esurance has announced that it will be providing discounts for auto insurance to same-sex partner customers in Illinois.
Following the June 1, 2011 start of the Religious Freedom Protection and Civil Union Act within the state, which provided same-sex couples with the right to civil union and rights equal to other married couples, Esurance declared that it would also respect this union and qualify same-sex partners for auto insurance discounts in the same way they would qualify opposite-sex spouses.
The savings that can be as high as 10 percent, or more depending on other factors such as the partner’s vehicle, driving record, and accident history.
This is not the first state in which Esurance has been offering savings to same-sex partners with auto insurance policies. Their customers in Washington, Oregon, and California are already benefiting from these opportunities.
The insurer has also been involved in the support of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues with initiatives including:
• Becoming one of the initial American auto insurers offering savings to domestic partners who list through the same policy.
• The sponsoring and promotion of various Pride events across the nation, such as Gay Days Orlando, St. Pete Pride, and Seattle Pride, as well as Orlando’s Come Out with Pride, which will be occurring soon.
• Making a donation to the Trevor Project, this year, for $50,000. This organization provides suicide prevention and crisis intervention services to LGBTQ youth.
• Winning an award for supporting equality on the job, called the Bay Area Workplace Diversity Award, in 2011.
• Receiving a perfect score on the Corporate Equality Index by the Human Rights Campaign, for four years running.
• Partnering with EDGE, Instinct Magazine, and other LGBT media outlets.