Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company was the first to offer commercial green insurance back in 2006 and has been at the forefront of the green insurance movement ever since.
The company rolled out their 5% green home discount and optional coverage, which now allows a home to be rebuilt green after a loss. Adding to the growing number of states they offer the coverage is now Oregon -residents who qualify for the Earth Advantage certified green home will receive new lower rates.
Fireman’s Fund’s green insurance endorsement will rebuild and replace with:
- Energy Star-rated appliances, lighting, electronic equipment and roofing/insulation
- An Energy Star upgrade of heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems
- Forest Stewardship Council certified wood for millwork, ceilings, siding and framing, including bamboo flooring
- Non-toxic, low odor paints and carpeting
- Water-saving plumbing fixtures
- Flush out of reconstructed space with 100 percent outside air
- Debris removed after damage to a home will be recycled and diverted from landfill
The company hopes to support earth friendly practices among future homeowners. Many are seeing the advantages too; earth friendly, lower utility bills and studies are finding the general overall health advantages to people as well. Green homes are growing in popularity and more builders are trying to grab buyer’s attention with free green packages. Now, insurance companies are trying to sway them!
Green is not only for property coverage but will help lower your car insurance premiums too! Check with your company regarding hybrid car discounts. Travelers Insurance is one that offers 10% off your rate in some states. So let’s see, commercial building owners, homeowner’s and hybrid car owners – all getting lower rates plus living a healthier lifestyle. Some would say a win, win situation!