Anthem health insurance plans leaving Ohio exchange in 2018

columbus ohio anthem health insurance

The insurer announced that it will not participate in the state’s ACA marketplace next year. One of the largest insurers in the United States, Anthem health insurance, announced its intention to exit the Ohio ACA exchange next year. While the company is large, very few people will be affected by the departure. Only about 10,500 Ohioans have health plans with Anthem, residing in only one fifth of the state’s counties. While the Anthem health insurance exit from the exchange is a small one when all is said and done, it…

Read More

Anthem health insurance policies with reduced coverage receive approval

california Anthem health insurance

A judge has given the nod to allow the insurer to move forward with a plan offering no out of network care coverage. Anthem health insurance has been allowed to continue selling a California health plan that doesn’t offer out of network care coverage. A judge gave the ruling that stopped Anthem Blue Cross from being restrained from switching half a million Californians to the plan. A consumer group requested that the judge keep a restraining order in place to stop Anthem from making the switches. The restraint would have…

Read More

Anthem insurance company to purchase Cigna for $54 billion

Cigna's Headquarters in Philadelphia insurance company

Massive acquisition to take place as one insurer purchases the other for cash and stock. It was recently announced that Anthem will be buying the Cigna insurance company for a tremendous buyout of $54 billion in cash and stock, making this the latest huge purchase by the insurer. The buyout is for 55 percent cash in addition to the remaining 45 percent in stock. Anthem has agreed to purchase each Cigna share for $188. The combined insurance company will be serving an estimated 53 million plan members. This new acquisition…

Read More

Anthem insurance company suffers massive security breach

Anthem insurance company cyber attack letter screen cap

The second largest health insurer in the U.S. is scrambling to deal with the exposure of data for 80 million customers. Up to 80 million customers – including the CEO – of the Anthem insurance company have had their private data stolen as the insurer has said in a statement that it was the victim of a tremendous security breach. The president and CEO announced that “Anthem was the target of a very sophisticated external cyber attack.” Joseph Swedish, the CEO and President of the insurance company, posted a statement…

Read More

Health insurance settlement reached by Anthem in Missouri

Missouri Health Insurance

The insurer was accused of having failed to notify its customers that the same coverage was being offered for less. A health insurance company in Missouri has now reached a settlement in which it has agreed to send a total refund of almost $8 million to customers in the St. Louis area in order to compensate them for failing to inform them about identical plans that were being sold at a lower rate. The agreement was reached between Anthem BlueCross BlueShield and officials of the state of Missouri. The actual…

Read More