As the new year begins, a little bit of attention to your coverage plans could make for a better 2017.
As 2017 gets started, the last thing on your mind might be reviewing your insurance strategy. After all, you likely have resolutions for healthier living and saving more money to keep up with. However, giving your policies a little bit of attention now can help to ensure the rest of the year will be better for you.
The health of your insurance coverage is an important issue, and a new year is a great time to take it on.
For 2017, give yourself a resolution you’ll actually achieve. Have a deeper look at your insurance strategy. Use some handy tips to make sure you have the coverage you need and that you’re getting the most out of the protection you’re paying for.
The following are some of the top steps you can take to easily improve your insurance strategy in 2017.
To make certain your insurance safety net is in place this year and that it covers you properly, don’t forget the following steps:
• Create an inventory of your property – if the worst happens and you need to make a claim, make sure you have created an inventory of your belongings. Forty eight percent of homeowners have not taken this step, says Insurance Information Institute data. Include pictures and receipts where appropriate and keep it in a fire and flood proof box.
• Review your various policies – from home to auto, from health plans to life insurance, know what coverage you have. This lets you decide whether you have too much, too little or the appropriate amount of coverage. It also reminds you about the specifics of your policy and can help you to better protect yourself against having to make a claim.
• Look into discounts – many policies offer discounts if you take certain specific efforts to reduce your risk factor. Find out what those potential discounts are and take advantage of as many of them as you can.
• Quit smoking – if you’re a smoker, your premiums will automatically be considerably higher for most health, life insurance and other policies. Decide that it’s time to quit and save a bundle in 2017.
• Drive safer – slow down, pay attention, put your phone away and become a safer driver. You’ll be much less likely to have to make a claim as a result – and you’ll be calmer behind the wheel, too!